With this initiative the State aims at making the system more reliable, transparent, credible and approachable to the people. A number of projects have been launched under with this thought in mind. Here is a look at some of the important projects.
- PAWAN (Punjab State Wide Area Network) has been launched to connect various government offices at state, district and block level. It has already connected more than 400 government offices. It will ensure secure electronic transactions and provide information publicly. In order to go through the e-governance projects of the government, one can follow the link http://dgrpunjab.gov.in/Home/pawan to get more information. One can also get information for their respective cities under this project, for example: http://www.kapurthala.net.in/.
With this initiative, the State has won the heart of the people by giving power in their hands. This digital way of functioning will add to the efficiency of government offices.
- The Punjab Government has also taken a call to connect all Suvidha centres and Saanjh Kendras in the state to provide better facilities to residents. With the inter-connectivity of all centres, residents will be able to access 206 services of 24 departments of the government online from home and all the services would be provided in a time-bound manner. More than 18 lakh people are already availing facilities of Suvidha centres monthly and around 98.5% services are being provided on time.
The government had set up a dedicated helpline number and an e-mail facility for the residents to file complaints and suggestions. If any resident is not getting any facility under stipulated time, he/she can complain and the officer concerned will be penalised as per law and a fine of Rs 10,000 would be imposed too.
- To encourage citizens to avail the services online, the Government has made a reduction of 5 to 25% in the charges for online applications vs over the counter applications. People can apply online for any kind of certification by visiting this link: http://punjab.gov.in/e-forms
Application for caste certificate, issuance of birth and death certificate, rural area certificate and residence certificate could be availed at Rs 40, against Rs 50 at the counter. Issuance of marriage ability certificate could be availed for Rs 765, against Rs 830 at the counter, solemnization of marriage could be availed for Rs 910, against Rs 1,160 at the counter, registration of marriage certificate could be availed at Rs 950, instead of Rs 1,250 at the counter and issuance of arms license could be availed for Rs 1,325 against Rs 1,950 at the counter.
- To introduce ‘on the spot driving license’ is another effort of the Deputy Chief Minister, Mr. Sukhbir Singh Badal to make the government departments efficient and highly effective. Punjab is the first state to introduce this project and it is indeed a matter of pride for the citizens. The first automated driving test centre for this purpose has been established in Naruana. One can not only acquire license but can also get examined for driving skills. The Deputy Chief Minister has stated that this project has been set-up to abolish red-tapism and to avoid delay in transport offices. This unique system meets all the international parameters too.
The Government is also planning to open 32 other online driving license centers in various locations of Punjab such as Amritsar, Barnala, Bathinda, Fazilka, Batala (Gurdaspur), Hoshiarpur, Jagraon, Mansa, Nawan Shahr, Pathankot, Patiala etc.
- The other government sponsored services like financial assistance to disabled persons and dependent children, old age pension, financial assistance to widows and destitute women, national family benefit scheme, senior citizen identity card, application for term loan to SC and BC, post metric scholarship to SC and BC, financial assistance under Shagun Scheme, issuance of disability certificate and job card under MNREGA and right to information and grievances redressal system have also become online.
The digitization of the system as envisioned by the Deputy Chief Minister, Mr. Sukhbir Singh Badal aims to make the working of government department hassle free and transparent. All of these projects will ensure Punjab remains ‘Corruption Free’.